Please choose a body region on the right for you to pin point the problem area of your body.
Shop by Condition
Shop by Brand
By Dennis Thompson Jr. | Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH
Controlling your cholesterol is key to preventing heart disease. For some, this can be accomplished through the same healthy diet and exercise plan that keeps a whole host of illnesses at bay. You might not love the idea of cutting back on cheeseburgers and steak sandwiches, but for men who plan to live a long and healthy life, it could be a sacrifice worth making.
Cholesterol is a soft, waxy substance found in all cells of the body and in the bloodstream. The body uses cholesterol to form cell membranes, make hormones, and produce vitamin D, among other functions. Your body makes all the cholesterol it needs, with your liver and other cells in the body creating about 75 percent of your blood cholesterol. The other 25 percent comes from food.
Cholesterol causes health problems when high levels exist in the bloodstream. Cholesterol starts to build up in the walls of your arteries, forming plaque deposits that narrow the arteries and force your heart to work harder to pump blood. This hardening of the arteries can lead to heart attack or stroke.
For a long time, high cholesterol has been a principal concern in maintaining a man's health. Statistics show that a slightly greater percentage of women have high total cholesterol than men. But because men have a statistically greater heart attack risk than women do, and suffer attacks earlier in life, controlling cholesterol levels can have a huge impact on preventing heart attacks in men.
Cholesterol: A Numbers Game
Doctors measure your cholesterol by drawing blood after you've gone through a 9- to 12-hour fast without food, liquid, or medication. They look for three numbers:
People are considered to be at high risk of heart disease if they have:
People are considered at borderline risk for heart disease if they have:
Some 98.6 million adults in the United States have total blood cholesterol levels that put them at risk of heart disease, and of those about 34.4 million American adults have cholesterol levels considered high risk. You should have your cholesterol levels checked every one to two years.
Cholesterol: How to Lower Your LDL
People normally have high cholesterol levels because they've been eating too much fatty food. However, health problems like diabetes, obesity, genetic disorders, or a dysfunctional thyroid gland also can increase a person's of cholesterol level.
Lifestyle and diet changes are the first actions doctors recommend when you're trying to lower your cholesterol levels. That mainly involves altering your diet to reduce your intake of saturated fats — fats that are usually solid at room temperature, like butter, lard, or the white fat contained in red meat. Research has found that eating saturated fat increases LDL levels. On the other hand, eating unsaturated fats — fats that are liquid at room temperature, like olive or vegetable oil — lowers bad cholesterol levels if they are used in place of saturated fats.
To limit cholesterol and promote heart health, the American Heart Association recommends these diet guidelines:
You should get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day or at least on more days than not each week. Some people find that regular exercise affects their blood cholesterol level by increasing their levels of the good HDL cholesterol. Exercise can also help control weight, diabetes, and high blood pressure, all known risk factors for heart disease. Aerobic exercise in particular can help train your heart to work more efficiently and condition your lungs.
If you still have trouble lowering your cholesterol levels, there are medications available that can slow down the rate at which LDL is made or improve the ability of the liver to destroy LDL. Talk with your doctor about when to consider these prescription drugs; your doctor can also help you tailor the right diet and exercise plan, lifestyle must-dos even if you are on medication to lower cholesterol.
Perfect to stay active durring cold or nasty weather. Enjoy a bicycle-type exercise from your chair or place the unit on a table to exercise arms. The Pedal Exerciser will help improve circulation and muscle strength.
Newline Digital Food Nutrition Scale is perfect for those watching their calories, carbs, or almost any dietary measurement. The hygienic tempered glass platform is resistant to staining and easy for cleaning.
Providing a clinically useful dose of vitamin D3 and vitamin K, our D-Lite Synergy supplement has Vitamins D and K are essential for optimal bone and arterial health and for maintaining the immune system in proper balance.